Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Trust Me

Genesis 22
What a picture of obedience Genesis 22 portrays–Abraham obedient to God, Isaac obedient to his father.

This is one of those passages of scripture that's just hard to believe. I'll accept Jesus' miracles. I'll believe in crossing the Red Sea. I can even buy a talking donkey. But to believe that a man would willingly sacrifice his son without another word...that's hard to swallow.

Here's what God is telling me through this passage.

1. Abraham was listening for God's direction.
The chapter opens with God calling Abraham and the reply shot back is, "Here am I." No delay is found in Abraham's response. You get the sense that he was always ready to hear from God. But maybe, even more importantly...

Photo courtesy of sxc.hu/profile/januszek
2. Abraham doesn't delay in responding to God's instruction.
In verse two God is instructing Abraham on what he wants him to do. By verse 3 Abraham is packed and well on his way to follow through with what God told him to do. Did you notice he "rose early in the morning." Abraham did not take God's instruction lightly.

I find this strange though. If you recall this is the same Abraham who bargained for Sodom, trying to save as many lives as he could, yet when it comes to saving the life of his son he utters not a word. How is that? How could he just blindly follow along with God's plan this time considering the great personal cost?

3. Isaac trusts his father.
Isaac is innocently following his father and doing just as he instructs, but soon realizes they have no lamb for the offering. When he asks his father the response is basically, "Trust me as I trust God." And Isaac does. Abraham has obviously taught Isaac who God is and what he is capable of. I sense that Abraham has passed along a healthy fear of God. Abraham has modeled the way for his beloved son.

In the end God rewards Abraham for his obedience and trust. He sees that Abraham has acted selflessly and knows that he has found his man, the father of his chosen nation.

I know every father who has ever read this passage has put himself in Abraham's shoes. I for one would probably have questioned my choice to follow God if he asked me to do such a thing–to take my only son's life. Thankfully he hasn't asked me to do such a thing and I don't think he will. But the example that Abraham set definitely stretches me as a father.

Tell me...
How do you listen for God's guidance and instruction?
What are you doing to teach your children to trust your leadership?
How about teaching them to trust God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

-----

Someone Famous Once Said...


"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated,
let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does
in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right."

-- Bill Cosby