Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lot's Choice

Those first few chapters of Genesis were packed with wisdom for dads. Much more than I ever noticed. Having started this journey of reading through the scriptures with this singular focus, I've realized how much more I get from reading God's word when I'm looking for something. I'm careful not to read into anything. I don't want to put something there that isn't, but so far I've found that God's instruction manual is not lacking when it comes to truth for fathers.

Genesis 19
Just how vile are the people of Sodom?

This passage of scripture has always disgusted me to no end. I'm sure that's the case for most readers.

Photo courtesy of sxc.hu/profile/ChanMuk
I shutter to think what happened inside 
those city walls before its destruction.
Here God has chosen to take a scalpel to the city of Sodom and extract what few righteous people remain, Lot and his family. It seems that an ax to the city was His preferred method, but because of Abraham's righteousness God sends two angels in after Lot's household before ridding the world of Sodom and Gomorrah.

The reaction the angels receive from the men of the city is (searching thesaurus for stronger word than 'disgusting') vomitous, (one word won't do) detestable, horrifying... They can't control their lust towards these two strangers. They smell fresh blood.

And Lot, fearing for their wellbeing, offers his two virgin daughters to these wolves in place of the angels from God. WHAT!?!?! Whoa, whoa, whoa.

I feel like jumping into the story, pulling Lot a side and saying, "You know these are angels, right? They can hold their own. They came out of the sky from the almighty God. Don't sacrifice your daughters to these dogs!" But alas, I can't. I'm just a neutral observer from the distant future.

So what can be gained from this story? What can we learn from Lot's choice and what that means about his leadership as a father?

It's evident to me that Lot had his priorities straight. Lot loved his daughters very much. After all, he lived in the most infamously sinful town in all of human history and his daughters were still virgins. He loved them and protected them. But Lot loved God more. Lot's loyalties were to God first and to his family second.

I struggle with this as a dad. When it comes down to it, if I must choose between time with family and time with God I choose family. Prayer time isn't a priority, but eating breakfast with my son is. Going deeper in Bible study isn't a priority, but watching a TV show my wife and I enjoy together is. I love the family God has given me, but He's my father. Just as I want to spend time with my son He wants to spend time with me.

My take away is this. I need to look at areas of my life where God has not been put first, because someday I will have to choose between Him and something else. And without a doubt that "something else" will be the lesser option.

Tell me...
What was your reaction to Lot's choice?
What things do you do to put God first in your day-to-day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

-----

Someone Famous Once Said...


"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated,
let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does
in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right."

-- Bill Cosby