Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

More Than a Boat Builder

Genesis 7
What does God think of my family when he sees me?

Chapter 7 opens with God instructing Noah and his entire household to enter the ark because his righteousness set him apart from the crowd. God is not only saving Noah, he's also extending grace to his entire family. Verse 1 stands out to me for this reason–Noah led his family.

All around Noah is wickedness. So much so that God regrets making man. REGRETS! My translation says he was "sorry that he had made man." I'm not touching that one–an all knowing God who regrets...but you understand the seriousness of the matter. Somehow Noah was able to navigate his family through these dark times, steering them away from evil and towards their Creator.

So God looks down on Noah's family–he, his wife, his three strapping sons and their brides–and a contented curl of his lips forms. He finds favor in him (Gen 6:8). Despite his disappointment with the rest of mankind, God saw Noah and his household and was pleased. He saw in Noah what he had intended for all mankind. Noah was a man that walked with God (Gen 6:9) and he had taught his wife and sons to do the same.

Could there be any greater affirmation for a husband and father that God would choose your family to repopulate the earth? I think not.

So I wonder, when God looks at me what does he think of my family? After all, they are entrusted to me. I am the head of the household. Does he find favor? Am I teaching my family to walk with God as Noah did his? For that matter, do I walk with God?

Tell me...
Who inspires you to be the spiritual leader of your household?
Is there a figure to whom you look up? Are you encouraged by your wife and children to lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment

-----

Someone Famous Once Said...


"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated,
let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does
in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right."

-- Bill Cosby