Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Behind Closed Doors

Genesis 4
I find it strange that our all knowing, all powerful God would ask Cain the questions, "Where is Abel your brother?" and "What have you done?"(v 9, 10). Surely he knows, right? He's God. Why not just call Cain out? Why not say "I saw what you did and you're in big trouble mister!"?

Photo courtesy of sxc.hu/profile/vla
I've caught my son in the act. Occasionally at the end of his room time I'll go back there and quietly peak in on him before going in. Sometimes I'll catch him dancing around on his bed. He knows he's not to stand on his bed. The simple thing is to go in, yank him off his bed and put him in time out or at the very least give him a good scolding.

But I want to know that he knows right and wrong, so lately when I've seen him doing something like this I'll go in and ask him what he's doing. It's and educational experience for me as a dad. I discover if he knows he was doing anything wrong to begin with, what mommy and daddy have told him about that behavior, and what the consequences are. He knows what's up and he knows he can't get away with it. (Well, most of the time. I'm a bit lenient at times and it's come back to bit me. Just ask my wife.)

So I guess that's what God is doing here. He seems to want us to give an account of what we've done. He did the same with Adam and Eve (Gen 3:9, 11). It's an opportunity for us to do the right thing and confess.

Tell me...
How do you approach your kids when you know they've done something wrong?
Is there a stricter punishment/consequence when they don't tell you the truth or is the disobedience treated the same whether or not they confess?

No comments:

Post a Comment

-----

Someone Famous Once Said...


"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated,
let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does
in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right."

-- Bill Cosby