Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Honey, have you seen my raincoat?

The boy blew chunks on me. Twice. Today.

He woke up last night after throwing up all over himself and his bed. So the wife and I gave him a quick bath and it was back to bed. This morning I got him up and fed him first thing as I always do. Eight ounces of Similac's finest. My wife was a bit troubled by some green stuff on his pajamas, but I dismissed it as snot. Sounded like a good explanation as I was burping my now fully loaded four-month-old.

**BURRRPPP!**

"Oh, good one!"

**YAACCKK!**

There's nothing like a warm shower of half-digested formula to wake you up in the morning. The poor kid lost his breakfast all over his dad and the couch we were seated on.

After a quick consult with the doctor we decided he should stay home. "If he gets diarrhea you'll want to make sure he stays hydrated," she warned. Check.

So I stayed home with the boy to help him ride this thing out. We proceeded with his next feeding as planned. I noticed as we sat there that Ethan was expelling some rather loose waste from his hind parts. I thought to myself, "We might have a problem on our hands." Four ounces later...

**YAACCKK!**

He did it again. With his back to my belly he threw up everything he just consumed. I promptly cleaned him up and turned him around to have a look at his face. And wouldn't you know it... all smiles. The kid was has happy as could be. Probably 'cause he knew he wouldn't be the one who had to change his diaper.

It's amazing how quickly you become comfortable dealing with bodily fluids when you're a dad. I haven't worn the hazmat suit in months.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club, brother. You'll never forget your first baby spew. It really is amazing that much "stuff" can come out something so small. And all you can do is hold the boy and take it like a man. All over yourself. You're doing great bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing out loud (Would that be LOL?...I don't know all the correct lingo.) It's always the seemingly bad experiences that make such great humor.

    ReplyDelete

-----

Someone Famous Once Said...


"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated,
let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does
in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right."

-- Bill Cosby