Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What are you so happy about?

My role as a dad most days includes dropping off and picking up my son from daycare. Somedays the the picking up part is the highlight of my day.

As another busy day at work comes to a close I begin to think about the evening's activities--what will we do for dinner, do I have time to mow the yard, is there a show on TV I want to watch, etc. But before all that nonsense I pack up my things, head to my car and drive to my son's daycare.

Usually when I get there he is sitting in a swing as his teachers are getting other kids ready to go home. Some days I don't announce my presence and just sort of sneak up on him. When he sees my face we make eye contact and he gives me a big, toothless smile. That is, unless he is trying to consume his right arm, starting with his fingers. Most days he's halfway through his palm by the time I get there.

But every so often he's just sitting there quietly, knowing I'll come through that door any minute to snatch him up and take him home to his mama. And when he sees me he gives me what I've been waiting for all day--that wide, handsome smile. It's a smile you can see through the biggest pacifier. You need only to see his eyes, to see the little curl at their corners, to know he is excited to see you.

I live for that smile. I love that smile.

2 comments:

  1. Kev:
    I know what you mean. I live for my son(s) smile(s) also. It usually takes the past days weight off my shoulders. Keep up the good insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a parent is hard work, but having those moments make it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete

-----

Someone Famous Once Said...


"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated,
let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does
in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right."

-- Bill Cosby